Our Brief History
CMTO is a product of the excitement created by the 1973 win of Billie Jean King over Bobby Riggs. The exhibition match spurred great interest in tennis in the Columbus tennis scene. The enthusiasm combines with the small groups of friends who played regularly during the summer. Years later in 1995, this continued enthusiasm supported the need to start CMTO. CMTO has grown to a membership that exceeds over 150 tennis players. A highlight of CMTO’s major milestones is below.
- 1973 Billie Jean King wins over tennis star, Bobby Riggs, in an exhibition match, resulting in a flurry of tennis activity in Columbus.
- 1989 GTO begins with 30 members, organized into teams of mixed skill levels.
- 1990 Martina Navratilova takes center stage in the Big Bear Women’s International Challenge in downtown Columbus.
- 1990 GTO membership soars to 60 and sponsors a tournament at OSU (Larkins Hall courts).
- 1991 GTO expands to 80 members and sponsors a tournament at Grandview courts.
- 1992 GTO expands league to include doubles.
- 1993 No formally organized tennis is known to have existed.
- 1994 No formally organized tennis is known to have existed.
- 1995 CMTO begins with 55 members.
- 1996 CMTO expands to 85 members.
- 1997 CMTO expands to 90 members.
- 1998 CMTO expands to 110 members.
- 1999 CMTO expands to 150 members.
- 2000 CMTO expands to 170 members.
- 2001 CMTO on the web goes live.
- 2006 CMTO reaches to 93 Members.
- 2007 CMTO web site goes live with online registration.
- 2008 CMTO utilizes the web site TennisEngine for scoring matches.
- 2011 CMTO adds Doubles Challenge Ladder to their offerings.
- 2012 CMTO plays a lead roll to bring Columbus’ first GLTA Tournament, the Columbus Classic.
- 2013 CMTO members Mark Buckingham & John Cox are invited and participate in the GLTA World Tennis Championship in Berlin, Germany.
- 2014 CMTO members Jeff Morgeson & Mark Buckingham are invited and participate in the GLTA World Tennis Championship in Orlando, Florida. In addition, nine CMTO members participated in the Gay Games Cleveland/Akron event. CMTO members brought home 4 GOLD medals, 4 SILVER medals and 3 BRONZE medals.
- 2015 CMTO members Jeff Morgeson & Kellye Pinkleton are invited and participate in the GLTA World Tennis Championships in Palm Springs, California. In addition, the CMTO Season Tournament offers consolation rounds for the very first time. In addition, CMTO Jeff Morgeson creates the Queen City Classic in Cincinnati. This GLTA sanctioned event is held at the Lidner Tennis Center, home of the Western & Southern Tournament.
- 2016 CMTO member Jeff Morgeson is invited and participate in the GLTA World Tennis Championships in Prague, Czech Republic.